Skip To Main Content
College of Arts & Sciences
All students who have chosen Physics as their major will be admitted to the Department upon admission to Texas A&M. Once admitted, the following links may be useful:

Math Placement Exam

Am I required to take a Math Placement Exam?
All Science majors are required to take the Math Placement Exam. If you have AP or dual credit, that may be factored in when building your schedule.
What does my Math Placement Exam score mean?
  • 0 – 21 = You will be expected to start in MATH 150 (Functions, Trigonometry and Linear Systems)
  • 22 and higher = You will be expected to start in MATH 171 (Analytic Geometry and Calculus)
What is the difference between MATH 151 and MATH 171?
According to the catalog, MATH 171 is designed to be a more demanding version of MATH 151. MATH 171 is primarily taken by Science majors, while MATH 151 is primarily taken by Engineering majors.